Friday, September 2, 2011

Favorite Things Friday: Surprise Lilies

Surprise lilies are those wonderful lilies that come out in late summer .  Darn it if every year they don't come back and surprise us!  

I promise you, at our house, each and every year, we all comment how we won't see surprise lilies this year.  We seem to miss their green phase, and then one of will comment, oh, the surprise lilies must have gotten mowed over.  I didn't see them come up, even in their green phase.  Neither did I.That just looks completely dead, I think they must have a certain life span and ours have just lived out their number of perennial years.  Blah, blah, blah.  And then one day last week, we started out on a bike ride:



This is the start of the surprise lilies.  Of course we all cheered and were thrilled, and I had to take a photo.  Then of course we saw them all over our small town in various places.

In a day or so they bloom even more fantastically:  
I see on Wikipedia that surprise lilies are also called "resurrection lilies" and that they come from Japan.  

Are you always surprised by surprise lilies?


No comments:

Post a Comment