Friday, September 16, 2011

Favorite Things Friday: Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church

I have so many ideas for favorite things, and all of them were part of our Labor Day weekend.   And since last week was too busy for me to post a favorite thing, I can now get several weeks ahead if I work at it.

This week's favorite thing is Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, IL.  Our family tries to attend liturgy there a few times a year or more, whenever business or leisure brings us to the Chicagoland area.  On Labor Day weekend, it was both.    My photos aren't that great, just being snapped by my phone, but I hope the beauty of the church shines through.  Icons are everywhere, and even the mailbox is decorated.  Father Thomas Loya, the dynamic pastor, has "written" or painted, all of the icons throughout the church, and even outside the church (as on the mailbox).  It's beautiful, and so is the liturgy.   Well worth a drive for those who live anywhere nearby.




Because my 8-year-old was wearing an orange fleeece, he had to demonstrate St. John's wings shown in this icon.
Yes, even the mailbox is decorated.

Father Loya.
Father Loya's dog.  I think it is a Hungarian dog, and I cannot remember the name at the moment.  I'm pretty sure it's something Greek.  I will update when I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment