Friday, August 19, 2011

Favorite Things Friday: Wholly Guacamole 100-Calorie Packs

I love avocados, but for much time I didn't buy them because of price or availability.    I would usually save my time for getting avocados when we would go out to eat, and I could get it on a salad or burger.

But some time back, I decided that I really, really like avocados on my lunch sandwich, and this fruit is really nutritious.  So I started buying individual avocados occasionally. Sometimes it worked beautifully because the ripeness of the avocado was perfect when I cut it, and I could save some of the avocado for the next day's sandwich. (I don't really mind how it goes brown, but I also could have drizzled some lemon juice on it if I did). But sometimes it didn't work out, as the avocado would be too ripe or not ripe enough.

Several times I saw a bag of them at Sam's Club, and they were usually high quality and a good ripeness. I would use one and maybe make guacamole with several others, saving the rest in the fridge for future sandwiches, but I could never get to all of them and there would be waste. My husband would eat some guacamole if I made Mexican food, but the kids didn't and the waste (or me having to eat guacamole day after day) became annoying, too.

So I once again abandoned buying avocados. And then, one day, I was (woefully) passing the beautiful bag of avocados at Sam's Club, I happened to see in just the next aisle over, Wholly Guacamole 100-calorie packs. Wow! I thought. Here's a way to have individual servings for me that don't go to waste. They are freezable, so even if I buy the Sam's Club version, I can save any that are nearing the sell-by date and take them out individually. Joy!

I see at the Wholly Guacamole website that they also have individual packs of salsa, though I haven't seen those available in our local grocery stores.  I don't see individual packs of their queso dip, but that could be fun.

My only request to the Wholly Guacamole people is to make a 100-calorie pack of just avocados, without the guacamole spices.  Sometimes I just want that clean creamy avocado flavor without the guacamole/salsa spice.

Do you like avocados?  What's your favorite way to use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment